There are many parts of a roofing system. Each of these parts has a specific role in making sure that the roof over your home can provide the impenetrable protection that your home needs. One crucial aspect of an effective roofing system is roof flashing. Keep reading to learn more about roof flashing repair.
What is Roof Flashing?
Roof flashing is a thin strip of metal that is used to prevent moisture from leaking in the most vulnerable parts of a roof, such as joints or protrusions, like chimneys. The flashing’s role is to guide water away from the areas of the roof that may be susceptible to leaks and have the water drained off to be disposed of in the gutter system.
Roof flashing is typically composed of aluminum, copper or galvanized steel. These types of metals are preferred for roof flashing because they are durable, strong, inexpensive, flexible and resistant to corrosion. The metals that are used in the construction of roof flashing are manufactured specially to be used for roofing purposes.
Types of Roof Flashing
The type of roof you have will determine the type of roof flashing you will need and where it will be used.
- Apron Flashing. This is the most basic type of roof flashing. It is installed where the top of a lean-to roof touches a wall.
- Chimney Flashing. Chimney flashings are installed around the perimeter of a chimney where it protrudes from the roof.
- Valley Flashing. This type of flashing is installed where two roofs meet at an angle.
- Drip Edge Flashing. Drip edge flashing is positioned on the eaves of the roof and rakes to protect the fascia board underneath the roof coverings. It is also used to conceal the gap between the fascia and roof deck so that pests will not be able to enter your attic.
- Abutment Flashings. These are the two types of flashings, the single-lap, and double-lap flashing, that are used at the point where a pitched roof meets a wall.
Roof flashing can also be installed around skylights, dormers and vent pipes.
Use a Crown Remodeling for Your Roof Flashing Repairs
Roof flashing can last you for several years, but if it is not properly maintained during that time, it can become damaged. The older your roof flashing is, the more susceptible it may be to failing.
It is important that you have your roof flashing repaired by a roof repair company like Crown Remodeling as soon as you are aware that the flashing is in disrepair, or you begin noticing the early signs of leaks where structures are protruding from the roof. Having your roof flashing professionally repaired can help you avoid having to pay for much more costly repairs in the future.
One of our technicians will come out to your home and carefully inspect the condition of the flashing and your roof. You will be provided with a detailed estimate for the labor and parts needed to repair your roof flashing.
Roof flashing can be the most difficult part of repairing a roofing system. Allow the experienced roofers at Crown Remodeling make sure your roof works as it should. Call us today for a free estimate!